Sunday 27 March 2011

Viognier

So i'm just polishing a bottle of white off... well half a bottle. Tom and I went on a bit of a wine spree yesterday after work, in which, we picked up a Viognier.

I first discovered Viognier back in the Margeret River. I sampled a glass at the Watershed winery and fell in love. It was unlike any wine i had tasted before. Whites i had had previously had always tasted one dimensional (not that i knew what i was talking about then), but this, this was something else. I was fairly half cut when i tried it, but i remember it changing my whole perspective. This was when i knew i wanted to get deeper into the knowledge of the grape!

Im on my last glass of this bottle of 2009 Arrogant Frog, Lily Pad White Viognier and it has been another dissapointment. That first sip, even that first smell of that Watershed Viognier was full of beautiful Apricots and Peaches and i remeber thinking how wonderful it would pair up with a sunny day and friends. Arrogant Frog, promises, and i quote "
undoubted rich fruit flavours of dried apricots". Maybe there is a hint of apricots hidden in there.. somewhere, but to me its way more citrusy on the palate and the after taste is quite perfumy.

No comments:

Post a Comment